Thursday, July 2, 2009

Separation Anxiety

Avery is seven months old today and she has recently entered a phase in her life that many children undoubtedly go through. She is such a sweet little girl and she is so much fun to play with, but if you have to step out of the room or outside her field of vision and she's not occupied she will commence frustration. She can't walk yet, otherwise she would probably just chase me or Chelsea down, so instead she starts to yell or cry. I'm sure this is ordinary for most kids, and while it can be difficult it's also a portrait of love and desperation.

When Avery was younger and we dropped her off at daycare, she didn't seem to notice our leaving near as much. Now that she has grown older and become more attached and familiar with us, she notices our absence and it upsets her. She'll grow out of this and the fact that she is at daycare around other children will probably speed up that process. I love being a daddy, and when she says "da da" (even though she says it to everything) it just melts my heart. Fatherhood has opened up a whole new realm of learning for me. Not only am I learning how to take care of a little girl and be a good father, I'm also learning more about my heavenly father. I think I have so much to teach Avery, and yet she is already teaching me some important lessons.

The separation anxiety that Avery is experiencing right now as an infant is actually a great lesson for me as a grown man. Avery exhibits desperation when she is separated from her parents. Our absence affects her life and that is unsettling to her. She desires to be in our presence. What an incredible picture God paints with this situation. The desperation and desire that my seven month old little girl is showing is the same desperation and desire that I should be showing in my relationship with Christ. The more I get to know Christ, the more attached to Him I become. When I am not close to Him, it should affect my life and I should have a desire to be where He is. I don't show my desperation by throwing a fit and crying, but it should bother me when I am not in the presence of the Lord. I should have separation anxiety.

Psalm 73:23-28 says: "Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel,and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. But as for me, it is good to be near God.I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;I will tell of all your deeds."

This is one of my favorite Psalms and it speaks such a great truth. Asaph had separation anxiety, and he desired to be near to God. This is right where I want to be. This is right where I need to be. This earth has nothing I desire besides God. It is good for me to be near God. He is my refuge, the strength of my heart, and my portion forever. Like a child, I long to be in His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment