Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Sweet Escape

It's mid July and life has been busy the last few weeks. It won't slow down much either for the next few weeks. We've made two road trips to Artesia already this month, and in a week and a half I'll be taking a group of teenagers to Winter Park, Colorado for Student Life Camp, and the week after that we're going to Schlitterbahn Water Park in New Braunfels, Texas. Summer is always a fun and exciting time in student ministry and I'm anxious to see what God does in the coming days. At the same time, part of me is ready to be finished with these trips and events and have a few days to catch my breath before school starts again.

I've been listening to a cool song by Run Kid Run called "My Sweet Escape" I really like the first verse:

"This is it, confidence is all I need
This is how You're going to save me from myself
From all that fails

I see You and me and everything in between
And I know I'm wrong but You long
To fuel the fire beneath these tired bones"

I often put a lot of pressure on myself which sometimes lowers my confidence to be able to accomplish the tasks before me. When I think of things that I need to be saved from (aside from sin), I often think of disease, death, and people/animals that could take my life. Ironically, my biggest threat in life is often myself. I truly need God to come in and rescue me from me. I am my own worst enemy at times. I'm so thankful that I do have a sweet escape, a refuge, a strong tower, that I can run to. To know that He longs to "fuel the fire beneath these tired bones" brings hope for the coming days. My bones will indeed be tired, and my flesh and my heart may fail, but God is my strength and my portion forever.

It's been a great summer so far, and the best is yet to come. In a couple of weeks, I'll be posting updates and pictures from Student Life Camp. I hope you'll stop by and check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment