Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Student Life Camp 2011 Monday/Tuesday

On Sunday evening at 11:35pm I called the bus company to make sure they were going to be there to pick us up. The voice on the other end told me they didn't have us scheduled to leave until 8am Monday morning. After a panic filled conversation I had to break this news to a group of anxious students and parents. I was frustrated, disappointed, and flustered. I had our trip planned out - where we would stop, where we were going to eat lunch, what time we would get here. It was my plan, and if you know me I strive hard to stick to the plan. After a long day of travel and missing out on a few opening activities, my frustration resurfaced.

During the evening worship, Jeff Johnson was singing a song called "Ruin my life". I've seen him numerous times and sang this one several times before, but when we got to the line "Now the plans that I have made fail to compare, when I see your glory", my wife leaned over and reminded me that sometimes God ruins your plans. I should know this lesson, but it seems God is teaching me to hold on loosely to the things I arrange. Our students did amazing yesterday. They didn't complain. They were prompt at both of our stops so we could get back on the road quickly, and through it all they went with the flow. I am so proud of them and so thankful to be their youth pastor.

JR Vassar is the speaker for the week. Last night he spoke out of Hosea and shared about how God's love is a voluntary love and a vulnerable love. God chooses to love us knowing that we are going to be unfaithful, just as Gomer was to Hosea after she married him. I think we all slept well and today (Tuesday) has gotten off to a great start. This morning, JR talked about being reconciled to God in 2 Corinthians 5. One of my favorite things he said was "God treated Jesus like he lived your life, so that he could treat you like you lived Jesus' life." Our students are now in small group bible study time and this afternoon we have some fun activities planned for them. Parents, your kids are doing great - thank you for allowing them to be a part of this special week. Please continue to pray for great things. This place is beautiful and the weather is cool, and best of all the air is not filled with smoke like it is back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment