Thursday, June 14, 2012

Student Life Camp 2012 Thursday

It's hard to believe we are already on our last full day at camp. This is my seventh time to be at a Student Life Camp, and I can say without reservation that every year is different and God is always at work in new ways. Last night was especially memorable. Sam talked about being strong and went into the crucifixion story, sharing details and after each one asking students if they could hear Jesus saying "I love you". It was a powerful time, and after he finished he gave an invitation for salvation and also for students to "get back into the game". A flood of students responded to this invitation, many from our group.  These students came to declare that they are done living for themselves and the things of this world and they are ready to be fully committed to their savior.

Now, having been to several camps, Disciple Nows, and other events I can honestly say I've seen tons of decisions made in moments like this based on emotion alone. Last night had a different feel, and as we all know only time will tell but I was moved by the movement of our young men and women.  Our worship time went an hour and a half over time, but nobody complained because I think they all knew God was up to something special. Hearing the stories our students shared during the church group time leads me to believe that many of our students were not just responding to the emotion that is evoked by the crucifixion story. Please pray for those who have made bold decisions to follow Christ with everything that they are. It has been a great week. This is a special group of kids, and I love every one of them. I'm not sure what I did to deserve them, but I am so thankful to be their youth pastor. We serve a God who is like none other, and we are His people.

The obvious question we must all ask is what's next? What do we do with this week? What do we do with these decisions and responses? How do we put feet to our faith? The days ahead will either be a time of great renewal and revival or complacency. I'm praying hard for revival and I believe these young men and women are the ones God will use to spark that.  Tonight is our last night and tomorrow we'll spend some time at Water World enjoying ourselves before returning home Saturday. Thanks for following these posts, and most importantly for praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment