Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Scoreboard

I recently began reading "The Real Win" by Colt McCoy and Matt Carter. Matt Carter is the founding pastor of Austin Stone Community Church, and Colt McCoy is an NFL quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers.  McCoy was actually born in Hobbs, New Mexico but he grew up in Texas and played football at the University of Texas in Austin. I was there to witness one of his most unforgettable games, albeit for different reasons for the Longhorns. In the book he mentions two of his dreams were to win the national championship and to win the Heisman trophy. He was well on his way to doing both of those things when his team faced Texas Tech in Lubbock on November 1, 2008. Tech led most of the game, but with 89 seconds left to go Texas pulled ahead 33-32. Tech drove the ball down the field quickly, but the game would have been over in one play had Longhorn Blake Gideon not dropped an interception. It's difficult to capture the excitement of what happened next so instead here is what it looked like.





The agony inside of Jones AT&T Stadium turned to ecstasy in one fell swoop. That moment remains the biggest and perhaps the best in Texas Tech football history.  And while thousands of Red Raiders celebrated wildly, one young man stood on the sidelines in disbelief and disappointment. I honestly had never thought about McCoy's reaction much since then until I read this book, but it reminded me that sometimes the most exciting moment for one person can simultaneously be the most devastating for another.  Now don't get me wrong, at the end of the day I am still a Red Raider and I still love that moment, particularly because it was the Longhorns and wins are hard to come by against them. It was the coolest sporting event that I have ever witnessed hands down. One of the ways many people have commemorated this win is with a picture of the scoreboard from that night. 


Up until there was one second left, Tech was on the short end of that scoreboard and it felt as though victory had once again eluded us despite our best efforts. 

I have to be honest, sometimes following Christ feels the same way. There are days when it feels like we are losing. I am pretty sure the scoreboard isn't reading in our favor at this moment in history. There are times when I pray and wonder if God was even paying attention, and who could blame Him if He wasn't because I am a selfish jerk who often refuses to acknowledge Him. I have felt deflated and defeated, and many times that is because of fellow believers in Christ. I think "friendly fire" hurts worse than evil enemy attacks. I believe there are many who feel that church is boring, irrelevant, unnecessary, and a waste of time. Those people make me feel like my job is worthless as well. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 1:18 that the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing but to those who are being saved it is the power of God. Following Christ means that you have to be willing to lose for a while. You may not be welcomed with open arms by your friends, family, or coworkers. You may be seen as weak, foolish, or pathetic. You may be a thought of as a boring person. People may treat you different - they may treat you like you are a loser. After all, the scoreboard says so right?

Last year I preached on a verse that keeps coming up in my life. In John 16:33 Jesus says: "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." In other words, the scoreboard will change. Victory will come, and while it may seem like it happens with one second left, we can rest in its certainty because Christ is the one who will deliver it. I will continue to embrace our underdog role as followers of Christ. Are you willing to lose, so that you can win? 

No comments:

Post a Comment