Monday, August 12, 2013

Grand Expectations

One week ago today my family and I stood and marveled at one of the greatest wonders in our nation. And by marveled I mean Chelsea and I were amazed, Avery was ready to go to the hotel, and Cason was plotting his escape from the evil umbrella stroller. I have always wanted to visit the Grand Canyon and since we were going to Arizona on vacation this summer it made sense for us to go there. I always envisioned it as a huge hole out in the middle of the desert, but was pleasantly surprised by the amount of trees in the area as we drove up. As I watched the miles decrease on the gps, I kept  thinking I would be able to see the canyon at some point but I never did. I was beginning to wonder if it really existed or if we had missed a turn somewhere. My patience was further tested when we arrived at the visitor center and could not find a parking space. It is in moments like these I often take off my youth pastor hat and put on my "I'm on a rampage so move your stupid car hat." It fits a little tight, but needless to say we lucked out and found a spot. I still could not see the Grand Canyon though.

My anticipation built with every step, we were almost there.....but then one of the kids had to go to the bathroom so I had to wait another ten minutes because everyone else's kid was suffering the same plight. I will never forget the moment we finally walked up to the rails and looked out across the vast beautiful space below us. If you have ever visited the Grand Canyon, you know exactly what I am talking about. Pictures are cool, but they come nowhere near doing it justice. It was such a breathtaking view, you just wanted to stand and stare for a while. The experience was worth the wait. The hole lived up to the hype, and in fact it was so much better than I expected. I look forward to returning someday when the kids are older and national parks are cooler than hotels.

Later that week I heard comedian Michael Jr. say something at the Willow Creek Leadership Summit that really brought my experience into perspective. He was talking about doing stand-up at a prison and not knowing what he was going to say until the moment he stepped up to the microphone. He said "I didn't know what I was going to say, until my feet got where they needed to be." Four days before that I did not know what I was going to see, until my feet got where they needed to be. Once I reached that spot, I experienced something incredible and unforgettable.

I believe God holds great things in store for each of us - a hope and a future as only He has promised. I have a terrible time waiting to see those things come to pass. I want to see it all right now! But at just the right time, when my feet are finally standing where I am supposed to be - I see. Take hope in God's perfect timing and God's perfect provision. You may not be able to see your destination yet, but if you keep going you will. It will be better than you could have ever expected, and will always be worth the wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment